pd and ppc: the final battle..?

J.R. Schulz prison at niu.edu
Wed Mar 1 05:09:44 CET 2000

hello miller, jason, garry, and anyone elso who may have experience with
this,

i'm not really sure if this is worth anyone's time, but it could sure save
me a lot of my own.
i've been reading all of the mail involving pd on linuxppc and the like, and
now that i've put linuxppc 2000 on my mac, i'd like to give this a whirl.
HOWEVER, i've noticed some discrepancies in the suggested solutions.

the latest, from garry kling, says that miller says to change the format
"AFMT_S16_LE" to "AFMT_S16_NE" in the s_linux.c file.
HOWEVER, my s_linux.c file already has 2 occurrences of "AFMT_S16_NE" in it,
and no reference to any "AFMT_S16_LE" anywhere.
it does have 2 occurrences of "SFMT_S16_LE" though.
is this what i'm supposed to change?
this is pd-029-linux that i'm working with btw.

i think i've got the makefile editing down ok.
i guess all you've got to do is point pd to where the egcs lib's are, yes?
somewhere inside the /usr/lib/gcc-lib/ directory?
i don't think these were included on the default installation, but i should
be able to find and install them, i think.
please confirm that i am indeed on the right track here.
i apologize for my ignorance of this operating system; please feel free to
consider me a prepubescent in the land of linux.

i found an earlier note from jason freeman about making these changes too.
he wrote that you should change "SB16_LE" to "SB16_LE" in s_linux.c file,
and that there is only one occurrence of this.
well, i've got no occurrence of "SB16_LE" in my s_linux.c file (again,
pd-029-linux), and even if i did, i there is no difference between what was
there and what i'm supposed to change it to.
please confirm that i am not insane.

i don't really care all that much about alsa and all that as i'm not that
concerned with sound input or midi in/out (yet).
what i'd like to achieve is to have gem running with mesa or quesa(?)
drivers and the appropriate atyrage128 driver setup (b&w g3).
i'm assuming that you got this to work jason, or possibly dieter kovacic, as
you both alluded that you seemed pretty close to getting it to work.
if so, any snags or tricks that i should know?

ULTIMATELY what i'd like to do, just because i'm curious is find out if pd
would be portable to os x.
does pd rely on things that are linux specific?
or could os x's bsd layer and unix/next roots  and such allow some amount of
compatibility?
pd for linux and pd for irix are obviously different because of the
difference in the os, so obviously some amount of editing would have to take
place, but how much?
impossible?
or just really difficult?
or just not worth it?

thanks in advance for any/all responses!
-jeremy schulz