pd and ppc: the final battle..?

Guenter Geiger geiger at epy.co.at
Wed Mar 1 10:10:59 CET 2000

J.R. Schulz writes:
 > hello miller, jason, garry, and anyone elso who may have experience with
 > this,

Hi j.r., I`ve only "glanced" through your email .. some answers maybe....

1) Endian issue:

 I have to look into this myself, generally endianess should not be a
problem ... if it is, pd will issue a message like
"OSS: Could not set DSP format"

 > i think i've got the makefile editing down ok.
 > i guess all you've got to do is point pd to where the egcs lib's are, yes?
 > somewhere inside the /usr/lib/gcc-lib/ directory?

do a "make depend", and you should not have to do any makefile editing..

 > i don't think these were included on the default installation, but i should
 > be able to find and install them, i think.
 > please confirm that i am indeed on the right track here.
 > i apologize for my ignorance of this operating system; please feel free to
 > consider me a prepubescent in the land of linux.
 >

 > ULTIMATELY what i'd like to do, just because i'm curious is find out if pd
 > would be portable to os x.
 > does pd rely on things that are linux specific?
 > or could os x's bsd layer and unix/next roots  and such allow some amount of
 > compatibility?
 > pd for linux and pd for irix are obviously different because of the
 > difference in the os, so obviously some amount of editing would have to take
 > place, but how much?
 > impossible?
 > or just really difficult?
 > or just not worth it?

pd is not OS dependent, it just needs an average amount of
changes.
The hardest part will be the sound and MIDI I/O, all other
things only require minimal editing (especially on a unix like
environment).

Guenter