ALSA pcmv2

Karl MacMillan karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu
Sat Mar 4 23:43:10 CET 2000

After about a week of staring at perfectly good code for writing to the
ALSA sound drivers from PD and wondering why it didn't work I finally
realized that I was giving the read/write commands the size parameter in
number of samples instead of bytes!  It is always the easy things that
are hard to debug.  Regardless, full duplex now works.  I need to do
some more testing and get the buffering nice, add the extra command line
parameters to choose between the different modes, and everything will be
through (well, no raw midi support and probably nothing beyond two
channels in four out until the ALSA people decide how best to support
multi-channel cards like the Hammerfall).

One question about the OSS code - what is the advantage to the
interleaving scheme used?  It is not the most obvious way to me (though
that doesn't mean much after this week), so I thought there must be a
reason to go to that trouble.

Karl

| Karl W. MacMillan                                 |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| Network and Telecommunications Services           |
| karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu                           |
| 410/659-8297                                      |