ALSA pcmv2

Karl MacMillan karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu
Sun Mar 5 21:19:04 CET 2000

> I'm about to release Pd 0.30, in a day or so I hope, just to warn everyone...

I will send you something today or tomorrow, then.  Even if it is just
basic ALSA support it would be nice for it to be in the new release.  As
the ALSA developers finish their documentation and work out the details
of their more advanced features they can be added.

> I don't think OSS's interleaving scheme is necessarily advantageous over
> any other scheme that you could propose.  Perhaps there's a much better
> one...?  Perhaps ALSA will even find one and incorporate it for their
> multichannel support.
> cheers
> Miller

I just meant the way the oss_send_dacs function stuffs the sys_soundout
into the output buffer or vice-versa for sys_soundin.  Alsa does have
provisions for writing non-interleaved (vector) data to cards through
their library.  Some cards (Hammerfall is one I believe) don't want
interleaved data so using their library prevents duplication of work
(deinterleaving samples for cards that don't want it).  As I mentioned,
the details of this aren't clear at the moment because of a lack of
documentation.

Karl