RME9652 driver updated

Karl MacMillan karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu
Sat Mar 18 22:32:35 CET 2000

ppagano at bellsouth.net wrote:

> Can someone explain to me the pros and cons(if any) of ALSA????
> I am still in the embryo OSS drivers and would like some help as it might
> pertain to better sound ..........

Perhaps the biggest advantage of the ALSA drivers is that they will be
the official sound drivers included in the linux kernel starting with
the 2.5 kernel series. Otherwise they are SMP safe, are designed from
the ground up to provide low-latency playback/capture, have an API that
is extensive enough to support cards with a large number of channels,
easily deal with digital i/o, and provide a library to make pogramming
easier.  They also provide excellent emulation of OSS so that an
application, including PD, can use ALSA drivers in OSS emulation mode.

Karl

| Karl W. MacMillan                                 |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| Network and Telecommunications Services           |
| karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu                           |
| 410/659-8297                                      |