RME9652 driver updated

Winfried Ritsch local ritsch at iem.mhsg.ac.at
Sat Mar 18 20:34:55 CET 2000

> Can someone explain to me the pros and cons(if any) of ALSA????
> I am still in the embryo OSS drivers and would like some help as it might
> pertain to better sound ..........

ok
1) ALSA will be the sound driver in future in kernel and oss is thrown out
2) ALSA is free OSS is not, OSS-free is always 2 years behind
3) ALSA has a multichannel concept, OSS only stereodevices (as far as I Know)
X) for ALSA there is a lib, for OSS not.
Y) ALSA is SMP-ready i think, oss... ?
Z) There a lot of soundcards supported by ALSA

... anyway better sound lies in the ears of the ...

mfg winfried