Pd crashes

F.Ernst intent at club-internet.fr
Thu Mar 23 16:52:25 CET 2000

x7.35·c wrote:

>  |Similary I had problems with the deamon "crond" because it executes
>  |various commands which can take a lot of CPU power and make PD crash.
>
> you can turn em off, or change the times
> /etc/crontab ... which runs the corn daily,weekly,monthly scripts.

Yes I have modified some lines in the crontab scripts to avoid CPU
hungry behaviours. I didn't dare to kill "crond" but will consider this
if the situation ask for (live act).
But right know I have to stop my work in progress and find a better
solution.

The both PD threads I run respectivly on my 2 machines need a lot of CPU
and it seems that even a too long disk activity can be a threat for
their stability.

I was using netscape when Pure Data freezed again few minutes ago.

I am the only one who have theses kind of problems ? Is it linux
specific ?

I am wondering if the soundcards i use are not a factor. I use a SB 128
PCI (ens1370) with ALSA in OSS emulation and a fidji.

Theses machines have dual cpu main boards but have only one CPU each for
the moment.
May be adding the second one will let PD being less interrupted by other
tasks or devices. I read that in dual cpus machines on linux, one of the
cpu is dealing with the IRQ. It's just an idea.

Dear Miller, are you aware of the kind of problems I describe ?
Does anybody have a suggestion or ideas ?

Francois