Problem starting pd 0.30 under linux

Karl W. MacMillan karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu
Wed Apr 5 01:31:37 CEST 2000

You should test two things:

1) run 'nslookup localhost' - this should return 127.0.0.1.
2) run /sbin/ifconfig - this should show all network interfaces and
needs to include lo.  This is the loopback interface and is used for
communication between 'localhost' and 'localhost'.

If lo doesn't exist you should add it (redhat should have some docs on
doing this).  If lo does exist and nslookup fails you may need to add
localhost to /etc/hosts.  Also, you should probably verify that
nsswitch.conf is set to look at files first and then dns (there should be
man pages on all of this if you need help).  It should be no problem to
have a IGOR as your hostname.  All unix boxes normally can be referred to
as hostname and localhost when running processes locally.

Karl

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Richard Dobson wrote:

> I recently downloaded and built (without problems) pd 0.30, on my RH 6.0
> system, which is currently running jMax. PD reports that it cannot find
> 'localhost', and queries if INET is unstalled. Well, from the startup
> messages, it is (And I can run Netscape, etc, with no problems). My
> hostname is not 'localhost' but IGOR, and that is what jMax knows about.
> Changing to 'localhost' gives jmax problems, but still does not get pd
> to run. Must be something simple, but I would appreciate being told what
> it is! I want to keep IGOR, as 'localhost' is soooo boring. 'localhost'
> never composed anything of note....
>

> Richard Dobson
>

> --
> Test your DAW with my Soundcard Attrition Page!
> http://wkweb5.cableinet.co.uk/rwd (LU: 17th September 1999)
> CDP: http://www.bath.ac.uk/~masjpf/CDP/CDP.htm (LU: 23rd February 2000)

| Karl W. MacMillan                                 |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| Network and Telecommunications Services           |
| karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu                           |
| 410/659-8297                                      |