updates on various problems

Guenter Geiger geiger at epy.co.at
Sun Apr 9 13:00:47 CEST 2000

Miller Puckette writes:
 > I've tried to recreate Guenter's problem with abstractions and "netreceive"...
 > I couldn't find any problems yet.  I tried both "netreceive" and an abstraction
 > in the same patch, and also a "netreceive" inside an abstraction, no problems.
 > The next step would be for Guenter to send me the patch he's running that
 > fails...

Well, it's all resolved now ....
the long story is that I had running an older version of pd, while I
thought I was running 0.30. The netreceive bug was due to the closing
of stdout, but this is fixed in 0.30 ...
even abstractions with Gem work now :)

While looking for open() and close() calls I realized that the fclose()
for the ".pdrc" file reading is missing in s_path.c:sys_rcfile().
(my fault)

 > Finally, I tried for a while to get MIDI input with an emu10k1 card
 > (SB Live; although I expect to see the same behavior for the cheaper
 > "PCI 512".  Note that "PCI 128 has a different, older chip and does not have
 > this problem.  It seems that when you're using the emu10k1 driver, select()
 > doesn't report available incoming MIDI bytes, so Wini's s_linux_midi_io
 > code never realizes that there's data to read.
 >
 > This is all under OSS.  I think the next step would be to make a bug report
 > but I can't figure out whether to send to Creative or to whomever provides
 > the OSS audio drivers in teh Linux kernel.

I have a SBLive lying around here. I might try it with ALSA and look
if it works there.

There is a bug database at "http://opensource.creative.com/", but the
best and fastest way is to look at the sources.

Guenter