pix_movie performance

umläute zmoelnig at iem.mhsg.ac.at
Wed Apr 12 18:41:14 CEST 2000

> Thomas Loop wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> We are trying to set up a patch for non-linear control of various
> video snippets via midi. (NN, please hold your breath - we can't
> afford a G4 running Nato ;-)
> Machine is an Athlon 700, 128MB PC100 and an AGPx2 Asus Geforce with
> 32MB DDR RAM. Running Win98/Win2k.
> The patch is based on pix_movie and the size of the AVIs is under 5MB
> and with 160-320 pixels width.
> The videos are mapped on squares.
>
> Performance is quite disappointing. One video runs quite smoothly. By
> adding a second one the framerate already drops into very ugly ranges.
> Any traps we're running into with this concept? What are the
> performance limiters for actions like this?
> There's nothing else running and memory should be enough for at least
> 5-10 AVIs...
> Can't imagine that the AGP already chokes on stuff like this, but
> maybe I'm wrong.

are you sure that the AVI's are loaded into memory ?
i did some things with randomAccess of AVI-frames, and performance was
disappointing due to the slow harddisk (on the other hand, my AVI was
HUGE (about 500Megs) and i did very random access...

> Also we have the feeling that OpenGL performance is a bit low on our
> machine, even with simple objects.

this is indeed strange, since i'm using the guillemot Geforce card and
it really goes like anything

mfg.tsa.drs
hannes