Freetype woes

Jason Freeman jason_freeman34 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 16 20:56:17 CEST 2000

Hi all -- I'm having some problems with truetype font rendering in pd/GEM,
and was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems or has any
suggestions. I am using a Dell 866 Pentium machine with Red Hat 6.2, a TNT2
chipset graphics card, and the nVIDIA OpenGL drivers and XFree86 4.0 and
freetype 1.3.1.

1) The "text3d" object does not work at all. When trying to use the example
patch included with gem 0.83, for instance, pd/GEM crashes as soon as I turn
on rendering. I previously had this same problem on a similar linux machine
that was just using the standard Mesa3d drivers. There are no error messages
prior to crashing.

2) The "text2d" object is incredibly power hungry with large font sizes.
Pd's CPU usage stays very low, but as I increase the font size of a "text2d"
object, even if it only contains a single character, the X server CPU usage
quickly jumps to almost 100%. This did not happen on other machines that
were using Mesa3d drivers instead of the nVidia GL drivers.

Any ideas would be appreciated -- or even clues as to whether the problem
lies in GEM, the nvidia drivers, or the freetype libraries.

Thanks,
Jason Freeman
Columbia Computer Music Center
New York, NY