What are the peculiar features of PD....

Guenter Geiger geiger at epy.co.at
Sun Jul 23 20:15:07 CEST 2000

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Ricardo_Climent?= writes:
 > users increase. I have not tryed Gunter´s GEM yet 'cause I had
 > problems finding all libraries needed for my LinuxPPC
 > distribution. I should install the debian one.

I wanted to reply to Gabriels message too, immediately, but then I
found out that I'd have to write a whole novel when comparing
MAX/MSP, jmax and PD (and the background of the development of the
three).

The main feature, as Ricardo noted is that it is free.

One point to correct though, I ported *Marks* GEM to Linux, which was
not too hard, because it was written in OpenGL and already running on
SGI's X-Windows.

Otherwise, if you are used to the programming paradigm, it's not too
hard to switch between the three, unless your operating system
(windows ?) keeps you from doing it.

 > To write external objects for PD seems to be relatively easy for
 > software developers like you, for me it is being a nightmare by
 > now...

It's easy if you want to do basic things, staying close to the
templates provided, for "more advanced" programming it's hard,
the sources are the documentation ...

Guenter