gem-0.84 for Win32 is out

Mark Danks mdanks at Stormfront.com
Mon Aug 7 17:27:49 CEST 2000

  Against all odds, GEM 0.84 for Win32 is out.  You can get it at the usual
place:

http://www.danks.org/mark/GEM/

  A lot of bug fixes, new example patches, new objects, etc.  The release
notes are at the end of the email.

  Please let me know if there are any bugs or issues.

Later, Mark

============================
= mdanks at stormfront.com
= Lead Programmer PS2
= http://www.danks.org/mark
============================

---------------------------- 0.84 -----------------------------
I long time ago, I changed the behavior for gemhead, so that
matrices where automatically restored, etc.  However, this
broke the camera object.  Use the view message to gemwin
instead.

Fixed a bug in GemMan.  If you didn't use "border 0" and you
requested a window size with "dimen # #", then the window
size was likely to be wrong.  This is now fixed.

Fixed a bug in the view message to gemwin.  There was an offset
which should not have occured.  You might need to change your
view messages to account for it.  Just subtract 4 from any
Z values.

There are some examples for pix_snap in
		examples/gemAdvanced/gemPixSnap.pd - Single buffered example
		examples/gemAdvanced/gemPixSnap2.pd - Double buffered
example
Keep in mind that pix_snap is a fairly slow operation...I also fixed
a nasty memory bug which could easily cause crashes.

I added Miller Puckette's pix_video for linux into the
code base.

If you load a movie in pix_movie with an open message, the
object will output the number of frames to the right output.  This
will not work if you have a "pix_movie homer.avi" for your object
since the output message cannot get processed correctly at
startup.

The disk object has an inlet on the rightmost side for the
inner radius...turning the disk into a ring.  If the inner
radius value is just 0., then the disk is just a circle.

Fog can be turned on in gemwin.  Look at
		examples/gemAdvanced/gemFog.pd
for examples.  The various control messages are documented
in the gemwin.pd help patch.

These next objects are thanks to hannes - mailto:zmoelnig at iem.mhsg.ac.at
---------------------------
Added OpenGL material objects -
		ambient, ambientRGB, diffuse, diffuseRGB, emission,
		emissionRGB, shininess, specular, specularRGB
  They provide much greater control over the color of objects.
Look at
		examples/gemLighting/gem5.materials.pd
for examples.

Guenter found a bug in the ortho object.  It is now fixed.  The
ortho object has the same general unit size as the normal
perspective matrix.  Look at
		examples/gemAdvanced/gemOrtho.pd
for how to use the object.