4 channel sound with SBLive/Linux/Pd

Soeren Bovbjerg bovbjerg at musik.auc.dk
Wed Aug 16 19:45:34 CEST 2000

Hi

I looked into the SBLive drivers to see if I could make them work with 4
outputs in PD. So far running -outchannels 4 just mixes the signal of dsp
1-4 to front and rear out which is pretty useless.

Anyway, I dowloaded the latest snapshop from
htp://opensource.creative.com and compiled the drivers and utils. To make
PD use 4 channel sound the dsp and dsp1 has to be directed to the front
and rear. The program that does the trick is dm (digital mixer) which can
be found in the utils dir. The program is very badly documented but I
found that:

./dm front dsp 0
./dm rear dsp1 0

sets dsp level to 0 in front and dsp1 level to 0 in rear leaving dsp in
rear out and dsp1 in front out.
Viola! 4 channel sound. All one has to do now is to calibrate the outputs.
The levels are set with similar commands. Don't touch other mixer programs
since they will reset the dsp front/rear levels. There is a GUI available
for dm at http://perso.club-internet.fr/bea_raph/

I cannot make it work.

Btw, the rear out is stereo mirrored!

Will make futher tests tomorrow :-)