rme multi channel

Richard Dobson rwd at cableinet.co.uk
Sun Sep 24 14:54:42 CEST 2000

If the RME does what it claims to do (i.e provides a multi-channel MME
device), you should be able to play a multi-channel file using
MediaPlayer. If it is only offering stereo, there should be some method
of changing that via System->Settings->Multimedia->etc, or by some
RME-provided utility. If there isn't, then it may be that the card
cannot do what RME says it can do!

The WIN32 programs in the CDP Multi-Channel Toolkit (free download via
the CDP home page below) can be used to check multi-channel MME drivers.
Specifically, the program 'playsfx' reports the number or MME devices
available, and the number of channels each of those devices supports,
and can be used to play a m/c file. Other programs provide a quick means
of constructing multi-channel files for testing and other purposes.

I will be updating 'playsfx' soon to support WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE WDM
drivers for Win98SE, Win2000, etc. In these systems, even a stereo card
will then report 65536 channels available, as the System can
automatically downmix all incoming WAVE_EX files to whatever the card
supports.

BTW, the new VideoLogic 'SonicFury' 6-ch card (under £80) claims to
support WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE, so may be a useable cheap m/c card, of
the kind hopefully Linux drivers will be developed for, soon. Has anyone
tried this card yet?

Richard Dobson

--
Test your DAW with my Soundcard Attrition Page!
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~masrwd (LU: 3rd July 2000)