Pd engine/interface interaction

Karl MacMillan karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu
Sat Sep 30 17:09:39 CEST 2000

Nicolas,

This seems pretty difficult to do well as quite a lot of the gui is in pd
(g_canvas.c, etc.).  Perhaps the easiest thing is to let pd think it is
connected to a gui without actually starting one.  You can either write a
separate program that pretends to be a gui but just ignores all the
messages it gets or rewrite the communication functions to do nothing
(s_inter.c).  Two things to think about - pd expects a couple of things
from the gui on startup (current working directory and font dimensions)
that you can easily fake and you don't want to remove the select from
sys_domicrosleep because pd uses this to do microsecond sleeps in addition
to polling sockets.  Good luck!

Karl

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Knos wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to have a standalone pd engine for performance,
> when i don't need the user interface. I checked the source code,
> but it's not easy to follow every part of the code path between
> the engine and the tk interface. How difficult/long would you
> evaluate such a task, and is there a document somewhere mentionning the
> interaction points between the engine and the interface? Is there anything
> in the code which may render this task difficult?
>
> -Nicolas

| Karl W. MacMillan                                 |
| Computer Music Department                         |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu                           |
| www.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac                      |