frontends was Re: building a mouse trap

Karl MacMillan karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu
Mon Oct 2 16:31:09 CEST 2000

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, [ISO-8859-1] _-¯-_ wrote:

>  |On another topic, I've noticed that at least 5 people are interested in using
>  |Pd with alternative front ends...  I'm working now on command-line options
>  |to make this easier; I hope to put a "test" version (Linux only) out within a
>  |week.  Oh yes, new "data" stuff too...
>
> while on frontends, how about running pd + pd-gui on two different machines=?
> so that you can start pd -nogui bla.pd on for example remote machine,
> later connect to it comme ./mypdfrontend -host remote.machine.com ..
> when you quit the frontend, the barebones pd just remians runnign, much like
> vnc (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/) works ..
> the tk interface already does (some of its) communication via local network with
> the pd-backend ?

Using the gui and pd on separate machines should be fairly easy - all of
the communication between the two is via standard tcp sockets.

Karl

| Karl W. MacMillan                                 |
| Computer Music Department                         |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu                           |
| www.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac                      |