PD latency

d13 dieb13 at klingt.org
Fri Oct 20 12:14:20 CEST 2000

you are right.
i thought the -rt option was broken, but it works.
DIETER

Karl MacMillan wrote:
> Why not use real-time mode (-rt)?
>
> Karl
>
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, d13 wrote:
>
> > hi miha, hi list!
> > i dont use any realtime-kernel, but a workaround to reduce clicks and
> > plops while editing is to use pd at normal priority and renice 20 pd-gui
> > after launching:
> >
> > $ps auxw|grep pd-gui
> > ABC     XYZ  0.2  2.0  3940 2572 ?        S    12:52   0:01
> > /usr/local/pd/bin/pd blahbla
> > $renice 20 XYZ
> > XYZ: old priority 0, new priority 20
> >
> > if this works for others too it would maybe be a candidate for a
> > command-line option?!
> >
> > DIETER
> >

> > Miha Tom¹iè wrote:
> > >
> > >         Hello!
> > >
> > > On the LAD mailing list there is a lot of discussion about lowering
> > > latyency under Linux. Lately I am using kernel 2.2.17 with Ingo's
> > > patches but I still get a lot of crackling noise wile switching
> > > desktops, raising windows and editing patches (like I wouldn't have the LL
> > > kernel).
> > >
> > > What are your experiences?
> > > Did anybody do any measurements?
> > > Is PD designed to take advantage of LL kernel (don't really know much
> > > about audio programming)?
> > > Should I go bother the LAD people with these questions? :)
> > >
> > >         Miha...
> > >
> > >  - Miha Tom¹iè --- C. na postajo 55 -- SI-1351 Brezovica pri Lj. --- SLOVENIA -

> >                     http://jokebux.klingt.org/
> >

> --
> | Karl W. MacMillan                                 |
> | Computer Music Department                         |
> | Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
> | karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu                           |
> | www.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac                      |

               don't forget to say hello to echelon:
abhoermethoden, bombe, cia ,dump , echelon, freak, grundrecht,
hacking, iridium, joint, kommunismus, lauschangriff, mailbombing,
nur in den mund genommen,  oecalan, pgp, querulant, rasterfahndung,
stoersender, tristero, urheberrechtsverletzung, volksfest, wanze,
xenophob, yuan, zukunft