C++ wrapper for extern development

Guenter Geiger geiger at epy.co.at
Fri Nov 3 21:10:19 CET 2000

Gem is really targeted for doing graphics, so it is only partly
useable as a base class for pd external objects (look at
src/Base/CPPExtern.h).

The C++ wrapping of Gem does not really (IMO) take away the complexity
of creating externals.

This said, it may be a good starting point to investigate how it can
be done.

I haven't really analyzed the design thouroughly, the drawbacks of
GEM's wrapping are:

- uses #define instead of templates ( this makes it easier portable to
  some extend).
  altough the defines reduce the amount of typeing needed for each
  external, they do not really clarify what is happening.

- adding of messages becomes more complex than in plain C.

despite that, having a C++ wrapper would be great, though I think
creating a decent API is not that simple.
Do you have any concrete suggestions ?

Guenter