More MIDI, Spectral composition tool

Ricardo Climent R.CLIMENT at Queens-Belfast.ac.uk
Fri Dec 8 21:10:51 CET 2000

Hi,

MIDI-------
I use a simple patch made basically of midi objetcs to generate
score notation for Sibelius using two computers just via midi out and in
 (also with a MTP or midi box).  Using objects such as metro, random , makenote,
 midiout and ctlin only, to generate source material for
instrumental/mixed  pieces, but not to create a piece itself.  i.e.
create long series of big orchestra chords controlling with an external
faderbox the distance between low/high registers, interval
relationships etc so you can visualise and hear the chord whilst  it is
being generated on the second computer.

FIDDLE~------
I included a bit of fiddle~ in a recent patch for a piano and LE piece.
I've been thinking for a while what to do with it because fiddle is
simply amazing but a bit difficult for being used in a compositional
environment.
What I did was firstly, to use the threshold in order to feed fiddle~
only when the pianist plays forte or louder, then due to the fact that fiddle~
 detects several pitches simultaneously, I used this output to feed
 an FM instrument in the patch, so I modified the stream of unpakaged data
 for my needs, lets say for the carrier, modulators, or c/m.

Due to the spectra of the prepared piano has nothing to do with the spectra
of a synthesis generated sound I went in another direction, trying to interact
 with gestures taking advantage of fiddle. So finally, after detecting
 a sfz. clean partial, fiddle creates an FM clone which is banged. It
is very pitched related (not timbrally related), then by feeding fiddle
with big piano clusters I interrupt the clean signal dramatically. When
the input poliphony is greater than the assigned poliphony to the
object, the carrier etc get mad following the gesture of the pianist in
real time.  This bit is quite nice.

There seems to be no problems when using vector size signals greater
than 64 ie. 1024 but I bang the ;dsp sigvs 64 whenever I call the
fiddle~ subpatch, just in case.
I put a pdf file called fiddledejavu88.pdf  (66k only ) for you to download
 (if you wish)  at
http://www.geocities.com/zumix/

It has the first page of the score using fiddle for prepared piano.

Cheers,

Ricardo