performance in pd - audiobuf, etc

Ricardo Climent R.CLIMENT at Queens-Belfast.ac.uk
Tue Dec 12 13:16:51 CET 2000

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 16:37:12 -0500 (EST) Karl MacMillan
<karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu> wrote:

# Ricardo,
#
# > I got these results now, 11.dec.2000:
# > G3/350 Blue- Motu2408 mkII
# > Driver: ASIO PCI-324
# >
# Thanks for the hard numbers!  How did you measure this?
#
# Karl
#
-----------

There is a latency test patch written by L. Stuck for MSP.
It measures your system's input-output latency, by running a cable from
your card's output (888/24, motu2408.... AMIII) to its input and
boosting the output volume of your computer/card. So later you can
also test by adding your external devices (i.e. mixer) to the loop, the
amount of real latency you might have in a concert situation.
The delay test is a simple delay~ object set to 74 samples. By using
the same patch as before, audio is passed through the delay~ and the
delay time is measured. It an also be good to measure the delay of your
own msp patches by replacing the delay~ object with your MSP patch.

In theory the motu2048 should have a latency around 6ms I think.

Ricardo

#
# > In-out latency test:
# > 2226 samples = 50.476189 ms
# >
# > Delay lines:
# > 74 samples  = 1.678005 ms
# >
# > I have also found the fact that midi behaviour is quite unstable
# > when using OMS, the Miditimepiece(USB) MTP AV under Macos 8.6
# > and running MaxMSP.
# >
# > Ricardo
# >