gem performance under linux

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104-1.ucsd.edu
Sun Dec 31 00:06:54 CET 2000

Hi all,

I've got to do something of the same sort too and will probably work on
it soon, perhaps even find a way to help others do it...

My own plan is to run Pd and "pd-gui" on different machines.  (There's
a "-guicmd" flag in Pd in which you could specify, for example,
"ssh next-door pd-gui".  This could also be of use for people wanting
to run Pd on embedded processors!)

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to tell Gem to render to
the "root" window on the local machine (while Pd-gui is drawing on the
other machine's display).  I bet it's easy but I have to learn about the
X window system's window-finding-and-specifying hooks; then I have
to modify the "gemwin" object to write to an existing window instead of
creating a new one.  Sounds easy, right?

cheers
Miller