PD help needed

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Thu Feb 1 00:45:53 CET 2001

Greetings:

  I've been trying to get PD + GEM working under Linux, but I'm having
poor luck at it. I got a great headache trying to compile it (either
MP's or GG's version) until I realized that it didn't like my Tcl\Tk 8.0
installation, so I upgraded to 8.3 and PD now compiles without
complaint.

  So then I installed it, according to the instructions in the makefile,
to the /usr/local hierarchy. But when I try running it I get this:

[dlphilp at localhost src]$ pd -rt
successfully opened /dev/dsp write-only
successfully reopened /dev/dsp read/write
priority 96 scheduling enabled.
memory locking enabled.
priority 98 scheduling enabled.
memory locking enabled.
sh: ./bin/pd-watchdog: No such file or directory
sh: ./bin/pd-gui: No such file or directory
Pd: signal 2

  I assumed the install would place everything where needed. My bad. So
where does everything need to be in order for PD to find it ? Or what
other info do you need to help me debug this situation ?

  I've successfully compiled Gem 0.84 but since I haven't yet got PD
working I don't know if this version will work with PD. If anyone else
is using PD + GEM under Linux, please let me know if there are any tips
on getting this show working. I'm anxious to see the combination in
action... :)

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

	The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net

Currently listening to: Aphex Twin, "Mold"