serial io on PD

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.kug.ac.at
Mon Feb 19 11:27:29 CET 2001

Hello,

 > The (unfinished) "serial" object just takes incoming numbers (0-255 I think) and
 > sends them out a "com port."  Serial input isn't handled at all.  Look in
 > u_main.tk to see how the serial port is initialized (and change the
 > code as needed...)

I am writing a rough serial object for unix pd (its not really ready):

   ftp://iem.kug.ac.at/pd/Externals/wr/comport/

it could be adapted for NT.

A problem is the polling:

a) It would be nice if there is a general select somewhere in the pd
   loop which also recognizes the a serial input like MIDI does.
   which means that it should be in s_linux.c

b) or should I make a 0 time clock

c) or just use non-blocking read and waiting for a read bang on the input...

... any suggestion ...

(We need it for the head tracker (flock of birds)).

mfg winfried