externals on NT...

Johannes M Zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Mon Feb 26 19:53:57 CET 2001

> when typing:
>
> pd -lib /pd/extra/fiddle~ to say something, the external works if I
> just type its name.
>
> If I want to call more than one the by using pd -path /pd/extra/
> calls all external libs under the path.
>
> I downloaded patches containing the externals but not its libraries
> (lib?, dll?)
>
> I rekon that is the problem.

yes, seems so
pd knows more or less two different types of files that can be loaded
(from the default paths and those, provided by the "-path ..." flag)
1. "*.pd"-files, which are abstractions (patches)
2. dynamic libraries which are loaded at runtime
  under linux these are calles "*.pd_linux", under windos they are named
"*.dll". these libraries are commonly referred to as "externals"

if you want to make use of an external, of course you must have the
compiled (!) library. some of the available externals support
windows-precompiled versions, others you have to compile yourself (and of
course this is tricky, since most win-users do not own a compiler).

so if you want to use an external (and got the compiled library) you might
proceed (for example) as follows:
"pd -path d:/pd/extra", and then invoke an object called "fiddle~". pd
searches for a file named "fiddle~.dll"/"fiddle~.pd". if it finds a
external (fiddle~.dll) it will load this library and look, if it contains
an object called "fiddle~". if so (yes), it will create this object.
(this sounds more complicated than it actually is)

if you have problems, getting some externals compiled, mail to me

mfg.dfs.lut
IOhannes