externals on NT...

Ricardo Climent R.CLIMENT at Queens-Belfast.ac.uk
Mon Feb 26 21:24:26 CET 2001

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 19:53:57 +0100 (CET) Johannes M Zmoelnig
<zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at> wrote:

# > when typing:
# >
# > pd -lib /pd/extra/fiddle~ to say something, the external works if I
# > just type its name.
# >
# > If I want to call more than one the by using pd -path /pd/extra/
# > calls all external libs under the path.
# >
# > I downloaded patches containing the externals but not its libraries
# > (lib?, dll?)
# >
# > I rekon that is the problem.
#
# yes, seems so
# pd knows more or less two different types of files that can be loaded
# (from the default paths and those, provided by the "-path ..." flag)
# 1. "*.pd"-files, which are abstractions (patches)
# 2. dynamic libraries which are loaded at runtime
#   under linux these are calles "*.pd_linux", under windos they are named
# "*.dll". these libraries are commonly referred to as "externals"
#
# if you want to make use of an external, of course you must have the
# compiled (!) library. some of the available externals support
# windows-precompiled versions, others you have to compile yourself (and of
# course this is tricky, since most win-users do not own a compiler).
#
# so if you want to use an external (and got the compiled library) you might
# proceed (for example) as follows:
# "pd -path d:/pd/extra", and then invoke an object called "fiddle~". pd
# searches for a file named "fiddle~.dll"/"fiddle~.pd". if it finds a
# external (fiddle~.dll) it will load this library and look, if it contains
# an object called "fiddle~". if so (yes), it will create this object.
# (this sounds more complicated than it actually is)
#
# if you have problems, getting some externals compiled, mail to me
#
# mfg.dfs.lut
# IOhannes
#

Thanks a lot. Now it is more clear to me. I got Visual C++. I remember
I used nmake etc to compile some simple externals a few weeks (months?)
ago with VC6.0. I might try that if I can find the c files.

ric.