dsp buffers 2

Tom Schouten psycho at zzz.kotnet.org
Thu Mar 1 22:03:50 CET 2001

karl,

i just implemented a lifted biorthogonal wavelet transform. it does the
calculation in place, but the output needs to be permuted to be readable.
to compute the permutation it is easier to have 2 separate buffers but i
found an algorithm that can do it in place. i first thought this was not
possible to do but it turns out to be not that difficult.

the algo:

START
for k <- 1 step 1 until n do
   begin
      l <- f(k);
      while l < k do l <- f(l);
      (S[k],S[l]) <- (S[l],S[k]);
   end;
HALT

f(k) is the permutation.

i am working on a dynamical wavetable synthesis method. the wavetable that
is read out is the output of a slowly varying dynamical system. it is
inspired by a recently introduced method called 'scanned synthesis'. if
the system is discreet and linear you can analyse it in a state space
framework. i use the wavelet transform as a special case of this
setup. the wavetable then a dynamicly changing linear combination of
wavelets.

tom