More questions (about writing pd addons+others)

Karl MacMillan karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu
Tue Mar 6 18:36:21 CET 2001

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Sergi Jorda wrote:

> hello,
>
> i'm also seeking for more documentation on how to write objects in C. I
> think that doc/6.externs is not really enough! I have BTW this documentation
> for jmax, allthough I haven't checked it yet. Is it the same? Should I read
> it? Is there something similar for PD? something that explain the needed
> methods, etc. I can somehow figure it by reading the simple codes from
> 6.externs but would appreciate something more.

You would be better off with the Max/MSP extern documentation as it is
much closer to PD than jMax.  There is close to a direct mapping between
Max externals and PD externals for the most basic operations.  Also, take
a look at the PD source itself - many of the objects are fairly simple and
easy to read.

> I would also like to know if anyone has a VC6.0 template project for
> compiling addons. I tried to make a new DLL project and compile the
> 6.externs examples, but once compiled, PD didn't recognize them (it did work
> with the makefile).

Is there some reason not to use the makefiles?  I know make can be
annoying at times but it would probably be easier in the long run.

> Is there more documentation and/or tutorials (on control and audio), besides
> de 1.manual and 2.control.examples, specially for the features which are
> different from MAX and jmax (data structures, etc). What about the objects
> that don't have a help (e.g. netsend, netreceive...)

Again, the source is a great help.  For the guts of netsend/netreceive
you need to look at both x_net.c and s_inter.c (for sys_addpollfn).

Karl

> I've also notticed that PD starts eating ressources (computer goes slower as
> time goes by, only by being open, even if unused...). Is that possible? I'm
> using it on W98.
>
> thanks
>
> sergi

| Karl W. MacMillan                                 |
| Computer Music Department                         |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu                           |
| www.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac                      |