some externalernals

Iain Mott iain.mott at bigpond.com
Sun Mar 11 01:07:52 CET 2001

Sorry I can't do much better than say 'pretty fast' at the moment! Have
addressed a few optimisation issues in the README file for the external (see
http://soundart.tripod.com/Pd/readmesql.html). Also in the PostgreSQL
documentation, have a look for info on indexing and 'primary keys'.

For the work I've been doing - I've actually been running commands in pauses
in the audio - so interruptions or glitches in the audio haven't really been
an issue. Because of this I've also had the liberty of switching off Pd's
DSP - to lend a little more CPU time to Postgres. I'm no expert on Pgres -
but I suppose there must be other ways to speed up response - holding data
in RAM perhaps?

Cheers, iain