using gem+linux for gigs (was Re: Gem segfault)

Joseph A. Sarlo jsarlo at peabody.jhu.edu
Fri Mar 30 18:11:08 CEST 2001

I've been using the Swissonic Studio D USB audio interface under Linux
with my laptop and after some initial difficulties it seems to work fine.
The latency is nominal. I haven't done any hard-core testing, but the
total latency (including audio buffer) is definately under 50 ms. It seems
all the horror stories about usb are not true (well, most of them anyway).
I can even use a usb joystick on the same port (with a hub) at the same
time, which makes sense since full duplex 44.1k 16 bit stereo should only
require about 350KByte/s of bandwidth and USB (ideally) offers 1.5MByte/s.

The trick with linux is that the drivers only work with devices that are
100% usb audio class compliant.  I've only found two devices that can
claim that, the Swissonic Studio D and Sound Technology's SoundBuster.
The prolem is they're both kind of expensive and the Soundbuster is more
of a data aquisition device for acoustic measurements.  You also are going
to want to get the latest usb kernel modules.  I had some problems using a
2.2 backport that all went away when I moved to 2.4.1.  Also, I have an
OHCI controller which everybody seems to say doesn't wor well, but it's
been working fine for me. Some things are a little weird but nothing
unworkable.

--