[PD] PD support for new alsa

Karl MacMillan karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu
Fri Apr 20 02:12:45 CEST 2001

Hi all,

I have added supported support for the newest alsa drivers to PD.  There
is source and an intel binary at:

http://mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac/download/pd/

This should work with the alsa cvs version as of a few days ago or the
newest beta available on the alsa website (www.alsa-project.org).  It is
currently limited to 16/24 bit interleaved cards - i.e. no hammerfall.  I
have only tested it on a stereo 16 bit card.  Either Winfried Ritsch or I
will produce an optimized version for the hammerfall soon (still
interested in doing this Winfried?).  Finally, you will probably
need to set the number of frags to make it work at all.  Try this
commandline first:

./pd -alsa -frags 20

I know this seems like a lot of fragments, but this is comprable latency
to OSS on my machine.  Please test this and tell me how it works or
doesn't work.  Miller, if you would like a diff just let me know.

Karl

| Karl W. MacMillan                                 |
| Computer Music Department                         |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu                           |
| www.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac                      |