[PD] Implementing a scheme extension language

jfm3 jfm3 at mortmain.com
Mon Apr 30 01:40:25 CEST 2001

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Larry Troxler wrote:

> I am attempting to implement an library which will provide a scheme
> extension language, and would welcome any comments.

Would this be at all like the TCL scripting available in jMax?

> True, I could use C and implement what I need directly as a loadable
> object, but I though that an interpreted language would be in general
> nicer, and fast enough, for most purposes like this.

Be careful.  Lots of Pd computation has to happen in real time.  In
general, extension languages with automatic deallocation need to use
special garbage collection algorithms to execute in deterministic bounded
time.  Your scheme extension may be "fast enough" for some purposes, but
probably won't scale to large Pd projects unless it uses an incremental
or other bounded-time garbage collection algorithm.

> ... (for now I won't deal with DSP signals) ...

I think you'll be sorry later unless you address this now.

(jfm3)