[PD] dynamic destruction and disconnection

Johannes M Zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Mon Apr 30 16:24:02 CEST 2001

hi

>  |Does anyone know of a way to dynamically destroy an object using the
>  |"send pd-xxx" approach? Also, is there anyway to disconnect objects
>  |dynamically?
>
> did you find/make anything?
> i ve only managed to selectall,menu_cut and start over from scratch. ;)
>
> the problem with both destroying and disconnecting is getting the
> reference to the object.
>  you could either emulate a mouseclick,
> or work out how to access the stuff via canvas/glist directly,

i once tried and added a method to canvases that destroyed them.
it did work, but only a few times (some 1000). after creating/destroying
1000s of obects pd was sure to crash.
i only changed the pd code slightly (some lines) and therefore i hope that
this (obviously something like a memory-leak) wasn't my fault.
nevertheless i never found the real bug, but maybe miller found/fixed it
already.
i do think that this has to be done before we are able to continue in this
direction, so who volunteers

mfg.dsf.sd
IOhannes