[PD] Annoying Newbie Questions

Michal Seta mis at music.mcgill.ca
Tue May 8 23:48:18 CEST 2001

On Tue, 08 May 2001, Timothy Rolls wrote:
> Greetings!
>
>     [..snip..] 1) can a .pd created
> in linux work in ME? 2) Does PD work as well in 2000 as in NT? I am
> considering upgrading. 3) Is there a list of keywords and their
> explanations? I know the basics (notein, noteout, stripnote, etc.) but I
> suspect I am missing a great deal of them.

1) .pd files are the same on all platforms (in fact, they're text files) so the
only thing you have to watch out for is that your win pd distribution has the
same set of externals.  As far as I know, standard pd distributions for all
platforms have the same set of externs but if you use some 3rd party externs or
libraries (i.e. d_mp3, gem, iemlib) you have to make sure that they're
available for the platform you're migrating to.  Once you have all the externs
necessary there'll be no other problems.

2)  I'll let someone else answer this as I have no idea.  I have not been
successfull in getting pd run (well it runs but audio isn't clean) under win98
but it behaved somewhat well on 95.  Never tried other windows.  I'd be
interested to know how well it behaves on NT, though...

3)  Right click on the canvas and a list of standard objects/externs will
pop-up with a short blurb about each of them (is that what you mean by
keywords?).  And you can go to the (your_pd_path)/doc/5.reference for help
files for most of the externs.  I don't think all are there but a great
majority, anyways.

>     Also, if anyone would be willing to send me examples of their work for
> examination, I would love to see it. I am trying to create a project that
> will trigger audio by inputing MIDI. I fear it may take a while. Thanks for
> reading and I hope I haven't re-asked too much!

http://gige.xdv.org/pages/pd/pages/links is a good place to check out other
people's sites.  Some of them have some patches (check the Wonk link)
 ftp://iem.kug.ac.at/pd/ - has some examples too, I think.

Also, I'm doing some progress on my tutorial(s) and will make it available soon
(a few days).

./MiS