[PD] Freebsd port

Karl MacMillan karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu
Mon May 14 18:17:31 CEST 2001

On Mon, 14 May 2001, CK wrote:

> I read:
> > I have ported PD to FreeBSD 4.3 (if you can call fixing a few compilation
> > issues porting).  It runs quite well on my laptop, but I will make no
> > garuntees that it will run on anything else.  There are some issues:
>
> did anyone who has access to an osx box try to compile it there ?

I haven't tried this (I do have an osx box) because the sound system is
quite a bit different.  Other than this, my assumption is that it will
compile fairly easily.

> > 1) Full-duplex does not work and locks up my system.  This is either a
> >    problem with the soundcard driver or the OSS emulation.
>
> did you succeed with any other app opening /dev/dsp rw ?
> then you could give d13b's piperead~/write~ objects a try, though they
> won't exactly lower the latency times ;), I'm currently using this to
> run pd on a machine wo any soundhardware.

I also wrote a minimul full-duplex test program using the native freebsd
audio api (which is refreshingly simple and well thought out).  It also
rebooted the system.  My assumption is that there is a bug in the drivers.

Karl

> regards

> --
> chris at lo-res.org					We put the 'fun' in
> http://pilot.fm/					fundamentalist !!!

| Karl W. MacMillan                                 |
| Computer Music Department                         |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu                           |
| mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac                    |