[PD] Need help with midi!

Juan Reyes juanig at ccrma.stanford.edu
Tue May 15 23:11:25 CEST 2001

Hi,

MIDI and ALSA seem to be very strange to each other. There is a problem in
ALSA while using ALSA native MIDI drivers and nobody seems to know about
it in the ALSA domain.

Therefore I think that the question should go a bit further.. Does anyone
have a MIDI IN & OUT setup working in Linux with Kernels 2.2.x or 2.4.x ?

As far as the ESS Maestro  chip, I have tried with OSS and ALSA and they
only work in MIDI OUT mode using /dev/sequencer which in ALSA is OSS
emulation. No duplex communication at all. Also many laptops don't have a
game port and ESS assumes no need for MIDI. May be someday there will be a
Linux driver for a USB MIDI Interface which could be used on Laptops.

Juan Reyes

CCRMA, Center for Research in Music and Acoustics
Stanford University