[PD] midi syncro

Karl MacMillan karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu
Wed May 16 00:02:29 CEST 2001

On Tue, 15 May 2001, jfm3 wrote:

> On Sun, 13 May 2001, Miller Puckette wrote:
>
> > [...] I can probably
> > get the timing jitter down to 5msec or so but it'll never be real pro
> > quality until someone figures out how to use kernel-level time tagging on
> > MIDI output...
>
> Does that mean you need tagged messages from the kernel level drivers, or
> that you can get tagged messages but you don't know how to use the tags in
> relation to the rest of Pd?
>
> I know there is MidiShare, which works on all the Pd platorms, and does
> tagging...

This comment was related to output not input - I think what Miller is
referring to is using the OSS sequencer to schedule midi events.  I guess
the idea is to schedule events in the future with the sequencer - this
would reduce jitter but increase latency.  Also, wouldn't event
granularity still be limited by at least DACBLKSIZE (somewhere around
3msec)?

Karl

> (jfm3)

| Karl W. MacMillan                                 |
| Computer Music Department                         |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu                           |
| mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac                    |