[PD] boot sector nightmare scenario

richard.bowers richard.bowers at ntlworld.com
Tue May 22 14:21:00 CEST 2001

I'm desparate...Can anyone help?

Here's the scenario:

I'm running pd on my i486 (Win 95) sending MIDI data to my Pentium (Win 98)
over MIDI cables to a sequencer.

After using I shut down the sequencer before shutting down pd.

The 486 rebooted and stopped with the error message:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I've done this and I can change to the c: drive and list the files.

My d: drive is anavailable through the prompt (although it is present in the
bios settings and was
successfully autodetected).

Fdisk gives the following under 'change current fixed disk drive':

Disk / Drive / Mb / Free / Usage
1 / [nothing] / 163 / 163 / [nothing]%
2 / [nothing] / 204 / [nothing] / 100%
[nothing] / C: / 204 / [nothing] / [nothing]

Display partition information for disk 1 reads:

No partitions defined

The same for 2 reads:

Partition: c: 1 / Status A / Type: PRI DOS / Vol label: MS-DOS_6 / Mb: 204 /
System FAT16 / usage 100%
Total disk space is 204 Mb.

I know this isn't a PD issue (although it may have been caused by PD and
would therefore be of interest) but I would really, really appreciate any
guidance.

Thanks,

Richard.