[PD] knacks at low latency

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Wed May 30 18:59:57 CEST 2001

hi all!

what is the lowest possible latency that anyone got under linux ?
with alsa-0.9.0b4 + kernel-2.4.3(+ low latency patch by a.morton) we are
only coming down to
982 samples (which is almost 22.2 ms under 44.1).
this works for "-frags 6"
decreasing the fragsize even more, will produce knacks, unless you
constantly move the mouse inside the pd window (seems like a tool for
live-gigs...)

what exactly does the "-fragsize <n>" option mean ? anytime we changed
this parameter, it behaved the same (and very badly indeed), meaning
4210 samples of latency and knacksing all the time, no matter which
fragsize we choose.

mfg.sd.asdf
IOhannes