[PD] PD 0.33 test 6 works with alsa 0.9B3 but not 0.9B4

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104-1.ucsd.edu
Mon Jun 11 07:13:29 CEST 2001

Hi all,

So I've been trying to figure out how to get Pd to run with Alsa 0.9x.  I have
to report that so far it's a failure.

Pd 0.33 "test" versions work with Alsa 0.9 Beta 3.  However, I can't compile
0.9 Beta 3 with 2.4 kernels because Alsa 0.9B3 defines a timer_t that conflicts
with the Linus 2.4 definition of the same name.  You can squeak by by
doing without MIDI and many offensive sound cards.  If you do this you can just
barely get Alsa 0.9B3 to compile in RedHat 7.1 (for example) and its 2.4
kernel.  Pd 0.33 test5 (and I hope test6) then work.  (You do have to know
exactly what blocksize and "frags" parameters to feed it...  see earlier mail
from me on this list.)

I've just been entertaining myself with trying to get Pd to run with Alsa
0.9Beta 4.  I had to upgrade to RedHat 7.1 because 0.9Beta4 seems not to work
with 2.2 kernels.  And now I find that Pd 0.33test6 (the latest) doesn't work
at all with Alsa except in OSS emulation.  OSS emulation seems to work OK
at least.

If any of you have tried test versions of Pd 0.33 with Alsa 0.9B4 and founf
out how to get it to work I'd sure like to know how you do it.  In the
meantime I'll continue trying to find out what my problems are.

cheers
Miller