[PD] video midi

Michael Droettboom mdboom at peabody.jhu.edu
Fri Jun 15 02:17:23 CEST 2001

I've been working on exactly this on and off for about three months.  I
was hesitant to post it to the list until things got more finalised, but
I'd also hate for people to take off and duplicate efforts at this point.
I've been very pleased to read on the list that there is so much interest
in such a thing.

My primary concern with this project has been video tracking (i.e. taking
a video stream in real time and outputting values that can be used to
control audio or other media) though the system has also proven useful for
basic 2D pixel-based graphics.

TECHNICAL DETAIL:
My overall architecture is to pass video data as if they were very large
blocks of audio data between objects.  My video_in_rgb object, for
instance, outputs three data streams, one for red, green and blue.  Since
the "data rate" for video is much higher than for audio, all the video
processing objects have to be in their own subpatch where a block~ object
is created behind the scenes to fake everything.  Perhaps it's best to
explain this by way of example:  a 320x240 @ 15 fps greyscale video stream
where each pixel is represented by one float requires 320 * 240 * 15 =
1152000 floats per second, which is much higher than the sampling rate of
most audio hardware.  So, to get video and audio running in the same Pd
process harmoniously, I "fake" it with block overlapping.  For simplicity
of writing video objects, each "block" of samples contains one frame of
video data.  This becomes the first (block size) parameter for the block~
object.  Then the overlap is set such that at the current audio sampling
rate, the rate number of blocks (frames of video) are processed per
second.  The equation is:

  pixels_per_frame / sampling_rate / frames_per_second

Of course, both these numbers have to be powers of two, so there's all
kinds of round-off that makes this not always optimal.
But anyway, that's the fundamental premise upon which everything else
works.

A quick status report:

- Video4Linux input support (I don't have access to other platforms,
  but maybe GEM's Windows and SGI video-in support (which I think it has)
  would be a good starting point.)  I use a cheap Creative Labs USB
  webcam for everything and it works great.

- Video out support uses the SDL library, because it's very portable and I
  didn't want to rely on something like OpenGL for output which may be is
  a bit of overkill in this case.

- Only very basic objects are currently implemented, though many are in
  the works.

- Basic thresholding kinds of things are there

- A "blob" tracker, which finds the center of mass of an object, good for
  tracking it's location.

- "Video delay" delays a video stream by a specified number of frames

- snapshot, to store a single frame of video

- image file i/o

- colour conversion  (RGB <-> HSV)

- It's also important to note that my approach, using Pd audio streams for
  video data, means one can use any ~ object to process video data.  For
  example *~ can be used to control the brightness of a stream.  +~ mixes
  two streams.
  Visualizing things like osc~ can be fun, though the use is more limited.

There are example patches for colour tracking, motion tracking, and
amount-of-motion sensing.  All these work quite well on a P-III 700MHz
laptop running Linux.

I've been extremely busy lately, but since there seems to be so much
momentum here, I'll try to post some extremely-alpha "only-works-for-me"
code by the end of the weekend.  I'd love to hear comments and feedback on
all this as well.

Glad to see the interest!

Michael Droettboom
mdboom at peabody.jhu.edu