[PD] sort of off topic... how to write a filter..

nullpointer nullpointer at odessadesign.co.uk
Mon Jun 18 23:25:51 CEST 2001

HI All,

I know that this is off topic in a way... but I am tinkering with writing dsp code
(some externals for pd ..e.t.c.) and I can't really understand how to implement a filter
(such as lowpass e.t.c.) How do you assess the frequencies of a particular signal and therefore attenuate them?
I assume some method of holding and comparing samples in a buffer or something, but then this would delay output?
Anyway, I am no math expert but I would appreciate any help.. I took a look at pds filter code and it seemed to be easier (in amount of code i.e. quite short) than I was thinking and I realise that i probably need to know more about filter math/operation in general..so any pointers e.t.c.

Thanks

Tom

http://www.nullpointer.co.uk
http://www.dividebyzero.org
C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
C:\REM [Header]
C:\>
C:\>PATH=C:\PERL\BIN;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;\C:jdk1.2.2\bin

(all suffixes enabled)