[PD] I think I have no idea

Norbert Math math at iem.kug.ac.at
Wed Jun 20 20:19:41 CEST 2001

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Álvaro Castro wrote:

> Hi all!!
>
> My name is Álvaro and I'm new to this list and PD. As
> a newbie, my questions maybe sound a little bit
> stupid, but please, you will help me a lot if you
> answer them:
>
> 1) Is Pd a programming language? When I open some pd
> files I see just linked squares. Maybe it has more
> behind that squares?

hello Alvaro,
if you are familiar with electronic music you can see pd like a
modular synthesizer - the squares being the modules (like
oscillators, filters, loudspeakers etc). These modules can be
connected together by chords - for example you can link
an oscillator to a filter and then link the filter to the
output of the soundcard to hear the result. There are
number boxes which act like dials to control the modules
etc.

> 2) What about externals? Is that what you have to make
> with C++ or any language?

You can use externals to expand the possibilties of
Pd - GEM for example is a set of externals (a library)
which gives you the possibility of editing and displaying
3-dimensional computer graphics (it is an OpenGl Interface).

> 3) Can I have a good sound and 3d control with just
> that squared objects in PD and GEM without programming
> any external?

You don't need to write externals yourself unless you want
to so something VERY specific.

> 4) What are TK, TCL and wish83?

These are graphical libraries which are internally used
by pd - you don't need to do anything with them unless
you have problems installing pd (on linux).

To get you started, see the pd manual at
http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/Pd_documentation/index.htm,
dhe Frequently Asked Questions at http://pure-data.org
and the GEM manual at http://www.danks.org