[PD] off topic; programming audio/midi in C

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Wed Jul 18 21:29:26 CEST 2001

Hi Rory,

I don't know that much about audio but could give you some advice with
midi programming under Win.

First of all, there is the 'Microsoft Multimedia Reference' helpfile
that is included with e.g. Borland C++ Builder. It might (should
ofcourse) also be included with MS VC++ or others, if not I could email
it to you. This file discribes how to deal with midi/audio drivers under
Win (opening, closing, accessing, ... devices).

I also could send you some simple midi programms' source code that does
funny things with relatively easy to understand code. Basicly timing is
most difficult, because you need some sort of callback function that is
controlled by the system's timer.

There are some books available dealing with this topics, but I don't
know any english books in detail. On the other hand it depends on what
you are planing to do. 'Computer music' by Dodge/Jerse contains some
code exapamles of functions that could be used to generate notes /
melodies, but nothing about midi/audio handling in general.

If you want to have any of the files mentioned or need more information,
just let me know!

Olaf

mailto:matthes at muart.de
phone: +49 (0) 3834 889425