[PD] setting Messages

Johannes M Zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Thu Jul 19 11:10:49 CEST 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, HENRY Damien wrote:

> Thanks a lots.
> Sorry if that discution has been here before.
> I have study a litle your answer cos the diference between list, message and
> symbols was not so clear in my head...

no, it hasn't been here; i just didn't know what exactly you were looking
for, and of course parts have been discussed here.

> your solution :
>
> work well when you know the exact number of "atoms" in the mesage.

exactly this is the major drawback of this method.
therefore : liga for $0

> if you send "a b" you will have "a b 0"
> and more strange if you send "l a b c" you'll have "a b c"
> if the first symbol of the message is l or f (i guess for list and float ?)

it's the old discussion about "list"s and "anything"s again.
the $1, $2, ... suppose that they refer to atoms of a list.
a list is a list of atoms preceeded by a selector that is  either "list"
("l") or a float.

therefore "1 2 it's you" will produce (with our "set $1 $2 $3"-message)
"1 2 it's".
"list my long list" will make "my long list" (ditto will "l my long list")
"this is quite annoying" will only produce "is quite annoying" because the
selector "this" will just be skipped by the $n-things

mfg.cdsa.st
IOhannes