[PD /GEM] video cards

Marc Lavallée odradek at videotron.ca
Sat Jul 21 17:37:06 CEST 2001

delire wrote:

> enter the matrox-killer [note cape and clock speed]:
>
> http://au.hercules.com/products/3dp2_mxddv/features_3dp2_mxddv.php

This card is AGP, and Rory asked about a PCI card.

The Matrox cards are better for one trivial reason: the Matrox drivers
are open sourced and the Linux support is better.  Also, the G450
second monitor can be VGA or video.  Is the Prophet video out works
under Linux?  I prefer the Matrox cards because they're more versatile
for general work and 2D, and I don't need fast 3D rendering for gaming.

But for a Gem project, I would use a Prophet under Windows, although
I'd rather drive a screen or projector with VGA than NTSC.

But you're right:  NVidia is killing competition, at least in the
younger community where computers equals 3D gaming consoles...

Marc