[PD] MIDI under linux (solved, but maybe interesting anyways)

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Sat Sep 1 13:46:47 CEST 2001

Hi,

I would like to use pd with midi under linux, alsa-0.9.0beta7, but it doesn't
work. [Well, see below, it works now]

My goal is, to send midi data from a sequencer to pd, so that pd plays the
incoming notes.

For this I set up a virtual midi device as card 3 (numbered as 2) with alsa's
virmidi module:
# modules conf
alias sound-service-2-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-2-8 snd-seq-oss
# virtual midi
alias snd-card-2 snd-card-virmidi

Then I 'aconnect' two ports:
aconnect 80:0 81:0

This gives:
client 80: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 2-0' [type=kernel]
    0 'VirMIDI 2-0     '
        Connecting To: 81:0
client 81: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 2-1' [type=kernel]
    0 'VirMIDI 2-1     '

I can then use /dev/snd/midiC2D0 as a raw midi port in the sequencer,
/dev/snd/midiC2D1 gets all that is send to midiC2D0.

I also made these links:
/dev/midi20 => /dev/snd/midiC2D0
/dev/midi21 => /dev/snd/midiC2D1

This setup works nice with csound:

$ csound -M /dev/midi21 midi.[orc|sco]
plays the midi data, the sequencer sends to /dev/midi20

But I cannot tell PD to read this data! No matter how I start PD, the "Test
AUDIO/MIDI" patch doesn't show any incoming notes. And yes, I did turn on
"compute audio".

$ pd -midiindev 1,2,3 -midioutdev 1,2,3
gives no errors, but also gets no data.

$ pd -midiindev 21 -midioutdev 21
or
$ pd -midiindev 21
also gives no errors, but it doesn't work also.

Until here, this was the mail I was about to send, when I tried this:

$ pd -midiindev 22

and I tell you what, now it worked. Maybe my mail is interesting anyways,
because it describes how to set up virtual midi with alsa for use with PD.

bye,
--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______