[PD] gripd glitches

Joseph A. Sarlo jsarlo at mambo.peabody.jhu.edu
Wed Sep 5 03:57:48 CEST 2001

Well, you should definately run PD with -rt. If you're calling GrIPD with
an "open" message, the GrIPD GUI will run with priority 0 (SCHED_OTHER)
schedualing (as opposed to PD's 96), so that helps a lot. Are you getting
DIO errors?  I've found in some of the later versions of PD that I
sometimes get a crackling in audio with no DIO errors and low CPU usage,
and I'm not sure why.  Can you run other reasonably low utilization apps
simultaneously with your patch without problem or is it just GrIPD? At any
rate, there are a few things you might try: You can increase the PD GrIPD
object's poll times by sending "poll_send" and "poll_receive" messages
with an integer argument specifying the poll time in milliseconds (see
gripd.pd). You can also try changing the poll time of the GrIPD GUI: in
gripdMain.py, change line 89 where it says

SOCKETTIMERTIME = 5

to some larger integer (milliseconds). I supposed I could add this as a
feature.  Also, I'm not sure, but using a non-bitmap GTK theme might help.
I've also found, from purely a voodoo standpoint, that opening the GrIPD
GUI before I start audio seems to help.

I hope this helps. Let me know how things go.

Joe
--