[PD] pd and gem

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Fri Sep 7 12:15:55 CEST 2001

John deKron wrote:

> hello list,
> I am using Max/Msp/nato for about 2 years now and want to make a step to
> pd/gem in order to use inexpensive computer equipment for video
> installations. I installed pd on a pc with win98. after running the gem
> installer pd still cannot find the gem objects. (When I open a gem testpatch
> pd doesn't initialize the connections). Some advice what I did wrong? Thanks
> for your help. John.

hi !
the gem installer only installs the documentation (and only correctly,
if you extracted the gem-folder to be
drive:\folders\PD\GEM :: it is a very simply script)
you have to (manually) copy the file "Gem.dll" into a path that is
searched for by pd: pe the path drive:\folders\PD\EXTRA, then you have
to load the Gem-library, either by adding "-lib Gem" to your
command-line , or by trying to create an object, called "Gem" (pd will
bail out to not being able to create an objet Gem, but never mind, it is
only important that you can read lines similar to

  GEM: Mark Danks
  GEM: ver: 0.84-5
  GEM: compiled: Jun 23 2001

an alternative would be to just add "-lib drive:\where\is\GEM\gem" to
your command line

mfg.cds.aft
IOhannes