[PD] [GEM] gem and video ?

guenter geiger geiger at epy.co.at
Fri Sep 7 12:49:09 CEST 2001

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> anyhow, on my workstation, either pd/gem keeps segfaulting when trying
> to load a patch containing a model,  or no model will be visible (so
> this is a bug, and may concern günter, as i do not remember it,
> appearing under windos)

:) Yes, right model loading stopped working .. well I didn't change
anything, so there is a problem is a problem with Mesa/OpenGL
compatibility.

I simply couldn't find the time to debug the problem, I don't know the
code that well that is involved with the object loading, it could be as
well a problem with the library Mark used for object loading,
so actually we should use another library, that supports more formats,
and sort of redo the whole thing.

> > * it doesn't find "pix-movie" object
> > ( must be a compilation problem )
> read "pix_movie" instead of "pix-movie"
> anyhow, pix_movie is not supported yet under linux; günter did something
> similar on gem-0.85 supporting an mpeg-player, but he never released it
> properly.

That was at a point when it wasn't possible to have gem externals, I
wanted to stop hacking the stable base of Gem.

Still, here is the external ...
ftp://xdv.org/pub/gige/gem/pix_movieQT-0.1.tar.gz
it supports a few Quicktime codecs, and depends on quicktime4linux.

Guenter